Sunday, September 23, 2018

Sunday Morning Musings

It's early Sunday morning. In fact, it's still dark. I woke up on my own a full two hours before the alarm was set to go off. 

It's a heavenly 56 degrees right now and all the windows are full open. I have a cup of hot tea, ready to enjoy, and am wishing that I had a can of pumpkin to turn into muffins for breakfast, but I don't, so that will have to wait until another day. Either way, I'm content. It's autumn! 🍁

My mind is trying it's best to jump ahead and think of all the things that need to be done this week. It's going to be a busy one, for sure, but, as I keep telling myself, there's plenty of time for all that later. Right now, I just want to relish these first early morning hours of the first Sunday in a new season. 

As I type this, male crickets chirp merrily among the marigolds along the front edge of the porch and a few early-rising birds begin their morning twitter as they awake to a brand new day.

I open the curtain on my west-facing office window. As the minutes pass, the sky changes from black-of-night to early-morning-gray. Objects that, just moments ago, were hidden in a shroud of darkness come into focus as the sun's first rays are cast from somewhere far away on the eastern horizon. Suddenly a shaft of rosy light shoots forth directly and the very top of the neighbor's utility pole is bathed in first morning light. It shines, briefly, then is swallowed up again in subdued gray. The western sky is streaked with light and clouds and a mourning dove coos in the distance. 

As I continue to type, the sun continues to rise in the eastern sky. Here in the valley we remain in morning shadow, but, suddenly, the neighbor's place just to our west is bathed in first-morning-light. Sunlight spills across the fields beyond and I hear the distinct hum of hummingbird wings as they begin their daily back-and-forth pilgrimage to the feeder on our front porch. 



As the sun climbs higher in the eastern sky, it spills more and more of its brilliant light across the fields across the way. I hear a woodpecker drilling into a distant tree trunk in search of breakfast and the first train of the morning rumbles down the track towards town. It blows it's whistle as it approaches. I look at my watch and find that it's time to start getting ready for church. 

What a beautiful morning this first Sunday morning of autumn is turning out to be here in southwest Missouri! Thank you for allowing me to spend a bit of it with you.

Until next time...
~Rebecca

Recent and related posts that you might enjoy reading...


Early Morning on the Tallgrass Prairie



No comments: