Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Modern Day Cowgirls (Well, Sort Of)

I don't get to do it very often, but, Saturday, Katy (the park manager) asked me if I'd like to help her with the bison. I said, "Sure!"
Katy and I Doing the Work of Modern Day Cowgirls
I won't go into all the hows and whys of it, but, in a nutshell, what we were doing is a daily training exercise to get the bison used to being where we need for them to be at Jubilee.


A Little Blurry, But I Love The Action
I, not only helped on Saturday, but was able to go back out on Sunday morning for a repeat performance. Here are a few of the pictures that I took along the way...


"Hya! Hya! Hya! Hya! Hya! Come on now!"
Awww! Look at this sweet girl! Isn't she pretty? 💗
What magnificent and majestic animals! 
Another Sweet Girl
Look this is a big ol' boy! Isn't he a handsome brute? 💗

It was a lot of fun helping in this capacity and it made Katy and I feel like real cowgirls (well...sort of anyway). 🤠

Now (here's where I get bossy)...

A WORD OF WARNING 

If you're ever at Prairie State Park (or anywhere else that has a bison) do NOT get this close to them. 

American bison are wild animals that can weigh as much as 2,000 pounds and can run up to 35 miles per hour. There is no way for a human being to outrun one. 

What Katy and I were doing here was part of our job. Enjoyable? Yes! But definitely not without risk and danger involved. 

Again...never EVER get this close to the bison at Prairie State Park (or anywhere else) on your own or just because. The risk is not worth it!

Also, NEVER take four-wheelers out on the trails at Prairie State Park. Again...part of our job and not the norm. 

While I enjoy sharing my pictures and experiences with you, I would not want to be the inspiration for you to do something that would cause you to get into trouble, get hurt, or worse. That's why I'm including this strong warning as part of this post. 

Until next time...
~Rebecca

Prairie Jubilee
Saturday, September 29, 2018 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Come join us for the fun!

Recent and related posts that you might enjoy reading...


A Prelude to Autumn









2 comments:

勝įžŽ said...

As I am reading this I am thinking of the nine-year-old girl at Yellowstone a couple of weeks ago and her bison misadventure. Thank goodness she'll be okay.

What were her parents thinking?

My favorite animal is the dairy cow. There is no way I would get close to a bison and I mean "tame" farm-raised. You are very brave.

Rebecca Knox said...

I hear you! And, yes! What were her parents thinking? As far as being brave, not really. It's just part of the job. Thanks for stopping in and commenting. You have no idea how much I appreciate that! :)